Saturday, February 5, 2011

refreshing summer salad: citrus grilled shrimp with cilantro-lime dressing


-  Fresh lettuce whichever you prefer. I like spinach because it is just so good for you!
-  1 avocado
-  1 tomato
-  baby shrimp, peeled and deveined
-  cilantro - lime dressing (the best part!!)
This salad is so light and refreshing.  I wanted to grill my shrimp with a citrus marinade, but really didn't have all the ingredients I needed.  I'm all about making do with what I have in my kitchen so I made my own with what I had!
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove (minced)
salt and pepper to taste
** I also added a little bit of brown sugar.. (about 2 tsp - optional)
Whisk it all together and marinade the shrimp for about an hour. Grill in pan on stove 1 - 2 mins each side. Yum Yum.  
Recipe for Dressing
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
  • Place the jalapeno pepper, garlic clove, and ginger into a food processor  ( I don't have a food processor so a blender works just fine!); pulse until the jalapeno and garlic are finely chopped. Pour in the lime juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, and salt, add the cilantro leaves; pulse a few times to blend. Turn the food processor (or blender) on, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until incorporated into the dressing. Season to taste with salt before serving.
Enjoy!

No comments: